Helena Salichová (1895-1975)
Helena Salichová was born on April 25, 1895, in Kyjovice – and died on July 2, 1975, in London.
After graduating from the teacher’s Institute she studied in Bukovac, and at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague from 1919 to1926, she briefly worked as a teacher in a school in Kyjovicích from 1926 and subsequently lived and worked permanently in Polanka nad Odrou.
She had a great interest in ethnography and collected folk songs and folk embroidery. As well as paintings, she produced graphics and book illustrations. Her painting focused on figural compositions, portraits and still life, especially flowers. Later she painted the landscape around Polanky, the Silesian landscape and that of industrial Ostrava.
She was a co-founder of the Moravian Association of Fine Artists.
She received numerous awards for her work and is represented in the collections of the GVU in Ostrava, the Museum of Art in Olomouc, the Silesian Regional Museum in Opava and the permanent exhibition in the Pamětn Hall, Klimkovice near Ostrava.